Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Creating "Shared" Steps

I am evaluating this tool for use in my company.

There are a few features I am looking for in a test management tool. I wasn’t sure if Test Rail supports these features.

Both features mention below have some similarity and if one of them is present that may be enough. Please let me know if there anything similar to this in Test Rail.

1. Re-usable Test Steps

There are times when many test cases have some common steps. Some tools allow storing a group of steps and using it in many test cases. When changes are made in the “reusable script”, the change is reflected in all test cases that reference that script.

1. Single Test Case repeated for different set of Data

Let’s suppose I have a test scenario for conducting a search on Google. I may have want 100 test cases that all have the same steps and the verification point but input data will vary.

Instead of repeating all the information in the test cases several times, I would like to define the steps once and be able to specify the different permutations of data.

This concept is implemented in some tools such as Rommana (http://www.rommanasoftware.com/test.php).

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Thanks for your request. TestRail doesn’t currently support re-usable test steps or test case variations, but we are considering this for a future version. That said, an alternative to test case variations (that might also be easier to manage and update) is to create a single test case and attach the test data/variations as a file. You could alternatively create a ‘base test case’ (with the test steps) and then create separate test cases for the variations. The variations would link to the ‘base test case’ (by entering [C123] into the preconditions field for example) and you would only add the variation data (e.g. a different Google search term in your example) to the additional test cases.

TestRail also supports configurations (via test plans) if you need to verify test cases/suites against different configurations such as operating systems, web browsers etc.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for your reply.

Looking at the forum I can tell you must get a lot of requests for your new feature, so you can probably guess my next question.

Any idea when such a feature may be introduced?

It can quite time savings when a set of re-usable steps are build and they can be dropped onto test cases.

My team works on projects involving over 5000 test cases. Every single efficiency can save a lot of time on the project.

You also mentioned something about a “Test Plan”. I didn’t see any module in TestRail where I can create any sort of Test Plan. Can you point me in the right direction?

Hello,

Thanks for the additional information. we are considering adding a few improvements in this regard in the future but we don’t have a time frame for this at the moment unfortunately. This will likely not be part of the next two updates but we will consider this for later releases. I agree that this would be useful to have for many similar test cases and we will look into this.

For now I would suggest duplicating test cases (via Shift + drag&drop) or attaching/entering the variants for a test cases in a separate custom field.

Regarding test plans: when you are on the Test Runs & Results tab, there’s a button in the sidebar to add a new test plan. A test plan is basically a collection of test runs and you can specify configurations for a test plan. TestRail will automatically create test runs for all specified configuration combinations.

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi,

Such a feature would be tremendously useful for us as well. Is there any hope it will be included in one of the upcoming releases?

Best regards,
Siri

Hello Siri,

Thanks for your feedback on this! It is currently not planned to add this to one of the next versions but we still have this on our feature request/todo list (I’ve just added another vote). We currently recommend creating base test cases and then referencing those cases (e.g., in the preconditions field via [C#]).

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback (and sorry for my late reply). Is there still a chance that the “shared steps” feature could be implemented?

Regards,
Siri

Hello Siri,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, shared data between test cases and/or test suites is still on our list and it’s planned to look into this again after the next feature version (4.0, likely available this month).

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

Hello,

Thanks a lot for you reply. I’m glad to hear that this feature is in the pipeline :slight_smile:

Regards,
Siri

You are welcome, Siri!

Regards,
Tobias

I am trying to understand how this could help with multiple test cases for my example: iPhone and Android app testing. If I created a bunch of test cases for testing the app on an iPhone then need to execute this as well for the Android version of the app, how is this helping other than making me have to click on the link to see the test steps but only difference would be hardware on my end? Currently I am basically creating a set of test cases in a suite, exporting those out and importing them to the Android suite (bulk editing feature will save me some time yay!).

A better example would be a sign up test case for iPhone for the app, link to it in androids test suite in preconds? I wish there were more detailed examples with screenshots for this so I can determine if this would save me any time. Again, I have to do testing on both OSes as well as the various platforms (iphone 4/5/6, Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, etc) that I have available. And I am still new to TCM software and this looked to be a better choice for what we need at this time. Certainly glad to see an active forum and active support from the developers. :wink:

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your feedback. We highly recommend using the same test case set for all environments and then using TestRail’s configuration feature to create multiple test runs for all possible software/hardware combinations (smart phones in your cases). Please see the introduction video on test plans & configurations for this:

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/videos/test-plans-configurations/

Regards,
Tobias

Can I append base test title to shared step

Could you provide a few more details on what you trying to accomplish? An example would be great.

Cheers,
Tobias

I have shared step which is test case by it self with title “Login to application”

[C12345]

In step instead of using as [C12345] I would like to display testcasename .

Step 1 : [C12345] Login to application

Hi Sudha,

Thanks, got it :slight_smile: That’s currently not supported but planned to look into this, happy to add another vote. You can already open the case in another browser tab to see all details but it’s already planned to make this easier to use (e.g. with a lookup/hover window or by including the title).

Cheers,
Tobias

Am I correct that shared steps are still not a supported feature in TestRail?

Hi @mam-p,

Shared steps between cases are not directly supported but you can reference other cases (e.g., via [C17]) and use this system to implement “base cases” (cases that are solely meant to be referenced by other cases and contain text/steps used by the other cases).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Pass value from result into another test downstream
Shared Steps Features?

the problem with this

Shared steps between cases are not directly supported but you can reference other cases (e.g., via [C17]) and use this system to implement “base cases” (cases that are solely meant to be referenced by other cases and contain text/steps used by the other cases).

is that it doesn’t even show the case name and details are not expanded when printing detail view

This could be a show stopped for us; copy and paste (and then massive repetitive maintenance of copies is not an option)

Hi Mark,

Yes, this would only include a link currently and this is not ideal for the print views, I agree. Happy to look into this for a future version and including the text snippets directly (copy/paste) might work better in this case. An alternative might be to use “broader” test cases compared to more cases with a smaller scope and this would also reduce the amount of duplication/work.

Cheers,
Tobias