Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Create an assignment based report

Forgive me as my ability with the reporting engine isn’t very good.

But I want to run a simple(?) report in which I can choose a list of users, and see what testcases have been assigned for them to run. Probably further narrowed down by a milestone – so say I wanted to see all testcases assigned to “Jeff” and “Jen” for milestone “Ten”. I would get a report something like:

Milestone “Ten”:

Jeff (15 cases)
Case1 -> (title?) -> Result
Case2…
Case3…

Jen (12 cases)
Case1 -> (title?) -> Result
Case2…
Case3…

I tried to play around, but ended up getting more lost than found.

Thanks,
–c

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your posting. I would recommend the Todo tab or the Users > Workload Summary report from the Reports tab in this case:

You can limit the Workload Summary to a milestone or run on the report form when selecting the runs.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

So the TODO is useful (though I can’t really send that report, I can screenshot it which works good enough).

But I am confused as to how to use the filters. I’m going to send a support ticket because it has some company data in there that I don’t want to be exposed to the general public.

Thanks!

Of course, mere minutes after I post that I understand. It’s not who created the TestSuite (that TestRuns live in) but who created the actual TestRun.

But, one thing I should note; the “Test Plan” filter box only shows about 30 characters (give/take) … and for reasons I am unsure of the folks here are creating Test Plan names such as:

Core - Milestone1 Regression Testcases Scrum Team1
Core - Milestone1 Regression Testcases Scrum Team2
Core - Milestone1 Regression Testcases Scrum Team3
Core - Milestone1 Regression Testcases Scrum Team4

Now we can argue (not amongst ourselves, but with those naming these) that’s a really poor way of doing things – and I have. But regardless, that filter box only shows the string up to “Core - Milestone1 Regression Tes” which makes it impossible to find a specific Test Plan. I’m going to (re)educate them on using simpler, shorter names; but you might also want to look into making that box bigger and/or – hmm, not really sure what you can do in the end as it’s probably an HTML element.

But wanted to point it out.

–c

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. The todo page actually works on the current assignments per test and this is independent of who created the test plan or run. Regarding the name length: you can increase the width of the sidebar and this should a bit.

Cheers,
Tobias

Full apologies, as I was talking about something different (to do with Reports). I got turned around at what I was looking at and what I was replying to.

I’d delete my posts but then that would lose context. Anyhow, anyone who may read this, ignore what I said – I start a new post so as not to confuse any further.

No problem at all :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias