Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Create a test run from search results

I need to be able to search for “regression” test case across the entire project and create a test run from the results set instead of having to create the run and and then add the test cases. Is this possible?

When you create a test run, use the option to choose the test cases and then filter (on the right) the test cases by Type --> Regression. Then you can mass check mark the cases.

Thank you for the response!

For us, a “regression” test may not have Type = regression. We may need to search for a set of tests that all touched a certain set of features but all of these tests may not actually be flagged as Type = Regression because they are only regression tests for this run.

There are a couple other reasons that using the filters on the run/plan will not work well for us

• we need to be able to easily do this search of several suites at one time
  • we have a lot suites and the tester may not know what suites need to be included in the plan

We would like to be able to go to the search screen and and type in [feature description], see all the test cases that have anything to do with this across all suites and from there select a set of test cases to include in a plan. Is this possible?

Sorry I was not more clear on my original post.

That is ok - we (my company) do not use the Type field as well because any test case we create can be used as a regression test.

TR is very Project oriented and we have had times where we wanted to report across all projects as well and we have had to do that with SQL. I would love to be able to group Projects under a ‘Team’ and be able to report across all projects for a ‘Team’, as well as more license management tools.

Hello Joanna,

We usually recommend using just a few test suites per project and it can even make sense to use TestRail’s (new) single suite mode:

http://blog.gurock.com/postings/introducing-testrail-4-0/2757/

(see “Suite Modes and Baselines”)

This makes it really easy to start test plans, runs or reports for the entire case repository of a project and would avoid the issues you have with multiple test suites. Please note that reorganizing test suites and moving test cases affects active test runs and removes tests/results from those runs (does not apply to closed runs and plans).

Regards,
Tobias

This will not work for us because our product is too big to effectively navigate the sections and subsections from the right menu. Also you are not able to lock down sections and subsection separately like you can with suites vs sections/subsections and we cannot allow everyone to be able to add sections.

I took a closer look at the single suite mode and I will it will need to be our option in order to effectively search for and include regression tests in runs. Therefore, I am now wondering what the impact will be if I change a project with ~70 suites and ~10,000 test cases to single suite mode?

Hello Joanna,

Thanks for your reply and my apology for the delayed response. We would recommend testing the single-suite mode (and maybe single-suite + baselines) with a separate test project first. We’ve got very positive feedback about this feature and this is now also the default mode for new projects/installations. But it might not be for everyone and we recommend testing the mode first before restructuring your project.

If you are happy with this feature and would like to use it, we recommend closing your active test runs, creating a new empty test suite (e.g. called “Master”) and you can then start moving the test cases of the other test suites to the master suite (via the Copy/Move Test Cases dialog, make sure to move the sections as well via the option at the bottom of the dialog).

Closing the test runs & plans makes sure that all test results are preserved and archived:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-tips#closing_test_runs

Please note that closing the test runs cannot be undone.

Once you have all test cases in your master suite, you can delete the other (now empty) test suites and switch the project to single-suite mode. You can also look into setting up a separate staging system first to try this process with a non-production installation and I’m happy to provide the details for this.

Regards,
Tobias