Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Coverage report for Custom Field

I would like to create a report that tells me how many hours of coverage were delivered by a custom field. The issue I am having is that when trying to use a Property Distribution report, it allows me to group the fields by the Custom field, but it gives me a count of test cases instead of an elapsed time. Also, these reports don’t allow me to add the Elapsed time column. I can add the Estimate, so I know how much coverage we planned on doing, but nothing for what was actually delivered.

I don’t really care who (what tester) provided the coverage, just how many hours were provided for the categories I used in the custom field.

Hi @carbs,

Thanks for your posting. That’s not directly supported as a built-in feature but you can look into using of the exports or TestRail’s API to create a custom report outside of TestRail. The CSV exports are the simplest option in this case and you can download CSV exports for tests & results on the milestone/run/plan level. You can include all cases/tests fields in the export and use an external tool (e.g. Excel) or script to create a custom report based on your requirements.

Cheers,
Tobias

That is unfortunate.
So I can export on the milestone/run/plan level, but not for the overall project? I am trying to run a Export & Backup to see if that will give me an overall project, but that doesn’t look like it will work for me.

Hi @carbs,

Thanks for your feedback. There’s no result/run export on the project level but there are usually just a handful of active milestones so creating an export on the milestone level (repeating this per milestone) works well usually.

Cheers,
Tobias