Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Coordinate a release with several projects included

Hi there,

I really like TestRail a lot but I get stuck on a quite irritating issue over and over again. It seems natural to me to sort different systems in different projects, but then when there’s a release including several systems I can’t find a way to manage all the tests in one test plan or one milestone. I’ve been checking around in this forum and the answer to similar questions seems to be that you have to work with only one single project. That to me would be very messy and unstructured. If all systems tests would be in the same project it would be very hard to have an overview. Am I missing out on something here? Is there another way of handling several projects in one release?

BR
Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your posting. You can add the same milestones in multiple projects but you would need to create reports separately per project. This approach is also used quite often if you prefer a stronger separation using projects (e.g. for permissions) (as opposed to using a single, combined project). It’s also always possible to use the exports in TestRail to generate additional reports outside of TestRail (e.g. for cross-project reporting). Would this maybe be an option for you?

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your quick answer! I tried to add the same milestone to multiple projects by trying to select that milestone when I created the separate test plans. However it wasn’t available in the drop-down list. I like the solution and glad that it’s possible so now I just have to figure out how it is done. :laughing:

Cheers,
Jenny

Hi again,

I’ve tried once more but I must be doing something wrong or perhaps it’s a misunderstanding. I want to connect test plans/runs from 3 different projects to 1 single milestone. Did you mean that I should create one milestone for each project? Because I can’t find a higher level to add milestones in than in one project. If I then go to another project and create a new test plan there’s no possibility to choose the milestone I created in the previous project. The drop-down list is empty.

Cheers,
Jenny - still lost :blush:

Hi Jenny,

You would need to recreate the milestone on the Milestones tab for every project. Milestones cannot be shared across projects but I simply meant that you can add the same milestones (a milestone with the same name) for each project.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Ah, that’s what I feared… It means that I’m back to the option of having all my real life projects in one single TestRail project which is not my preferable way of working. I’d rather connect several test plans to one milestone, but thanks for your answer anyway.

Cheers,
Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Projects are very independent from each other, for various reasons. For example, this makes them ideal to use with different teams or departments where each team/department shouldn’t see the other projects. For closely connected projects/teams, we would usually recommend using a single project in TestRail and this approach is more flexible when it comes to creating test runs/reports/milestones for all cases.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

One single project won’t work for me because then we would lack one level in our structure. I would really really love if you could add the possibility to monitor and report the progress in several testplans within one milestone. :grin::pray:

Cheers,
Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Using the section structure for the cases (case repository), you can use the number of levels that would work best for you and you can compare this to a regular disk drive with files and folders, for example. The Test Cases tab is similar to how Windows Explorer or Mac Finder would show the files/folders. The upcoming version of TestRail will also add support for sub-milestones (one level) and milestone/release schedule/planning, so this is an additional structure level on the test execution side.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi again,

Ok, it sound as I’ve been missing something in the section structure. I’ll go exploring some more there. :nerd:
Great news about new features in the upcoming version. :+1:

Cheerio,
Jenny

Hi Jenny,

You can make the section structure or hierarchy as complex or as simple as you like but I agree that finding the right mix of structure and folders requires some thought for large repositories. It usually makes sense to focus on the high-level structure first and then decide later how deep or detailed you want to lay out the sub-folders and 3rd/4th etc. levels.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for your help with this! I’m working on a suggestion and we’ll see what my colleague thinks. :grin:

Cheers,
Jenny

Sure, happy to help and please let me know in case any further questions come up!

Cheers,
Tobias