Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Connection TestRail to MSSQL with Integrated Security?

Hello,

I want to implement Database Mirroring at the MSSQL server. Is it possible to connect to the MSSQL database not with SQL account, but with domain user account?

PHP is allowing this, I have to set «mssql.secure_connection = On» in the php.ini and remove username and password from connection string, like this -

$serverName = “serverName\sqlexpress”; //serverName\instanceName

// Since UID and PWD are not specified in the $connectionInfo array,
// The connection will be attempted using Windows Authentication.
$connectionInfo = array( “Database”=>“dbName”);
$conn = sqlsrv_connect( $serverName, $connectionInfo);

But TestRail files packed with the ionCube so I can’t make any changes there.

Nikita.

Hi Nikita,

Thanks for your posting. TestRail requires SQL Server authentication and you can find our installation guide here (with recommendations on user setup etc.):

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-admin/installation-windows

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello Tobias,

Thank you for your reply. I know about guide and have read it. Let me remind you my question - Is it possible to connect to the MSSQL database not with SQL account, but with domain user account?

If not, do Gurock Team has plans to make it possible in the future? Not every dba happy using SQL accounts instead of Integrated Security.

Hi Nikita,

Thanks for your reply! TestRail only supports SQL Server authentication currently and you can follow the instructions in our documentation to set up the users/login. There are currently no immediate plans to add support for Windows authentication/Integrated Security and SQL Server authentication is really working well for all customers running TestRail on Windows in our experience.

Cheers,
Tobias

Got it! Thank you so much.

You are welcome, Nikita, happy to help :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias