Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Connection between console & app

Hello,

What’s the reason to initiate connection from application to the console? I think that it would be better is console were a client for an application.

Benefits:
-No need for configuration of console IP in *.sic file
-no performance degradation when console is unavailable and application tries to connect.

Currently, when application is started and I’m trying to connect to it, when my IP is changed, it’s neccessary to change *.sic and restart application. :expressionless:

best regards
Piotr Rezmer

Hello Piotr,

The reason for this behavior is that most people feel uncomfortable with having a tcp server running in their applications. We thought it was the better way to let the application act as a simple client. I can see where having a tcp server can be useful and in fact we already considered adding this as an additional protocol. However, currently there are no concrete plans in this direction.

For the last point (configuration file reload), we already implemented a new feature which can automatically reload a modified configuration file. There’s no release date yet but it will be integrated into SmartInspect 3.0.

Hello Tobias,
Creating additional protocol would be good idea. Usually we need logging to find out what wrong is going on. Sometimes, problems appear after long time of application startup (and application works fine after restart). In this situation, using of SmartInspect console
with tcp protocol is a great way to see things inside application (especially features like watches are very helpful).
As far as configuration reloading and version 3.0, i think that it would be good to prepare a roadmap to see incoming features.
By the way, congratulations for creating really good tool. It changed my way of thinking about log files.

best regards
Piotr Rezmer

Thanks for the kind words. :slight_smile: