Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Confluence Integration Upgrades Needed

No offense but the current confluence integration is useless. You can insert the iframe but all of these pages require authentication. The purpose of confluence is to be able to share across organization and even public if so desired.

We would like to share these dashboards because this is the only real time piece of information that is available.

I cannot generate a report on demand via API when tests are complete and I cannot even design a report to have the exact elements I need, nor can our reports summarize results or coverage by section.

If you could please improve upon your confluence integration that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!

Thanks for your posting. You would need to have a login to TestRail in order to see the reports/dashboards in Confluence, as this would be required for the secure access to TestRail and to enforce user/project permissions. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be possible to limit the dashboard to just the projects a user is allowed to see. But I understand that a bit more flexibility would be great to have and thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias

Tobias - Confluence has permissions and that security as to who can see what page is handled there. Adding a second layer and requiring a testrail user is quite cumbersome. Testrail is testcase management and there is no need to create users for an entire organization just to see reports and results.

Hi there!

TestRail would require a TestRail user login for the embeddable dashboards and reports as well for the following important reasons:

1. Security: each user can have different permissions and project roles assigned to them. This is completely independent of any Confluence permissions. If TestRail wouldn’t require a login, every person (even without TestRail access/login/permissions) could access the reports then, which would be very problematic of course.

2. Licensing: similar to most applications, TestRail requires a license for each person using and benefiting from the application. In order to make sure that every person has a license, a separate login is also required.

I hope this helps!

Dennis

When we started with testrail we estimated that around 6 licenses were sufficient and that the costs, compared to the functionality offered, were acceptable for this team size. Jira integration wasn’t considered that very important.

Recently, management chose to adopt a more test driven development approach and as a consequence there now is the need to support all developers with testrail integration in jira.

We are now faced with the decision to buy additional license costs for 12 developers who only need to view test cases, and results.

In comparision to other testtools with jira integration, TestRail now becomes very expensive to us (albeit it suits our requirements better).

Gurock should consider a significantly cheaper read-only account for employees not part of the testteam

Hi Jasper,

We found (and based on customer feedback) that giving developers access to TestRail as well (either by accessing it through JIRA or directly) makes the communication between developers and testers a lot more efficient and productive. It’s common that developers start contributing to the testing process (either by commenting test & results or adding context details for testers) and that the integration let both teams work more efficiently. I understand that giving developers access to TestRail as well involves additional costs, but if you compare the costs of TestRail ($25 or less per month) with a typical salary of a developer or tester and factor in the additional productivity through TestRail, we feel that TestRail is already very competitively priced.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias