Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Configurations apply to subsections

I’d like to apply configurations to subsections of suites. Is this possible? Also when editing a test plan, there is no option to view sections. It seems like sections is under-used as an organizational tool since it doesn’t appear on the “edit test plan” screen and cannot be used as an organizational entity. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, you can customize the case selection per run/configuration and limit the sections you would like to include:

You can configure this for the entire “plan entry” (group of runs) via the “select cases” link as seen in the screenshot or just select configurations (you see a “select cases” link when you hover over the Test Cases cells for the configurations). This opens the Select Cases dialog that lets you limit the selection to select sections/cases of the suite/case repository.

Cheers,
Tobias

First let me say that I like TestRail and am a fan. I only comment constructively because I have been living and designing plans with it for over two years now and any improvements to the management system will benefit me directly.

I am aware of the ability to deselect items but we are having to create multiple suites now in order to prevent the mass combinatorial explosion that is the current design of configuration in TestRail. Mass un-selection hundreds of items is not efficient which is why I would like to propose raising the “Subsection” within suites to an organizational unit or construct. This would allow a suite’s subsections to have more use in organizing a test plan. At the moment the subsection is not as useful as it could be because it is not a top level organizational construct when editing a test plan. If it were then the suites could be constructed more broadly while allowing configurations to be applied more selectively. All of this results in less of a combinatorial explosion to deal with.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the additional details and feedback! Instead of using configuration groups and letting TestRail generate all possible combinations, you can also a single configuration group. For example, instead of two configuration groups Browsers and Operating Systems with a few entries each (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Windows 7, Windows 10, Ubuntu 14), etc, you could look into using a single Environment group (Internet Explorer + Windows 7, Chrome + Ubuntu 14, etc.). This avoids the explosion of possible configuration combinations and you can create just the combinations you need. This should also make the case selection easier.

Cheers,
Tobias