Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Compile with deploy pakage

I’am quite new in Delphi library and pakage. My question is if i give someone the source code of my program plus the *.bpl that are deployable, the user can compile the application ? I can distribute all *.bpl with source code of my program in order to permit to my customer to compile the code ?

Thanks
Ing Giuseppe Monteleone

Hi Giuseppe,

Just the .bpl file isn’t enough afaik. You basically have two options:

• Option #1: You can deploy the source code of your application together with all needed .bpls AND all corresponding .dcp files (and your application has to be compiled with packages).

• Option #2: You can deploy the source code of your application together will needed .dcu files (and your application has to be compiled without packages).

Please note that almost all component vendors forbid distributing .dcu and .dcp files of components, and so do we (please check the Deploy.txt file for distributable files).

These files could be used to link the component(s) to another application. For your own components, the above options are available though.

Hope that helps!