Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Click step to mark progress

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to highlight the step a tester is currently on. We have some pretty long test cases and it can be difficult to find the step the tester is currently on when going back and forth from the test case to the machine being tested.

We use Steps in our test cases but do not pass/fail a particular step but rather the the whole test and note the step that failed in the comments.

If there was a way to highlight the current step and continue to do so for each (using a keyboard shortcut would be amazing), it would save a lot of time scanning the case for the current step.

If not, please consider this a feature request. ; )

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your posting. There’s currently no feature for this and the standard approach would be to assign a status per step (and this would automatically tell you your position in the list of steps). This is also the approach we would recommend and this makes it much easier to see which step(s) failed or have issues. You can even enter an actual result per step which adds additional context details.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks, Tobias. We’re going to switch over to status-by-step and give a go.

-Bill

Thanks for your feedback, Bill, sounds good! Please let me know in case any questions come up, happy to help.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello,

I have also been looking for a similar feature or for a way to customize and add this. We currently already use the status per step method, however having some color coded visual aid can be helpful sometimes, especially if the test cases are long.

Is there a way to to have the step numbers (indicated with an arrow in the screenshot) coordinate with the status colors that already exists (indicated with an arrow in the screenshot), depending on which dropdown status is selected (indicated with an arrow in the screenshot).