Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

CircleCI cucumber results sent to TestRail

I use TestRail as a manual test case management tool. I’d like to have my automation results show up there as well. For my current automation set up, cucumber is running the automation suite in our continuous integration environment (CircleCI). It spits out a json results file that I hear can be sent over to TestRail. Has anyone successfully sent this data over before, specifically from CircleCI? I found a github repo that gives instructions on how to do this, but I’m just wondering if someone has done this before and how difficult it is to get working. I’m a little confused on where to start with the TestRail API documents and need some extra help. Thanks!

Hi there,

Thank you for the post. You can integrate TestRail with basically any test automation tool and many of our customers integrate their automated tests. You would integrate test automation tools by using TestRail’s API. You can learn more about the API on our website here:

While we don’t currently have ready-to-use scripts for specific test automation tools, many of our customers use TestRail together with various test automation tools and frameworks such as Selenium, JUnit, Cucumber, many commercial tools, CI tools like Jenkins etc. It’s also planned to offer more example scripts in the future. We also offer basic API bindings for various programming languages such as Java, .NET, Python, Ruby, PHP etc. via the above link. You might also find this article interesting with details of how other companies like the BBC integrate their automated tests with TestRail:

I would also recommend taking a look at the following article:

Great article, thank you!