Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Changing the status of a test run

Is there any update on this feature?

Hi Girish,

Thank you for the follow up. Currently you would still need to submit a new result in order to change the overall status of a test. Currently we do not have plans to change this but we do have this on our list of requested features.

I get your point, but this is not up to Gurock to decide if my test can be edited or not. The admin should have the power to decide the behavior his team’s tests, even that this feature is default.

The point here is not the lack of a feature, but an imposed feature that is given headache for your own customers. The normal behavior is: User can edit, not the opposite.

Maybe the capacity to add another result on top of the one I’m not able to edit works for most people, but it doesn’t work for me and this single feature is giving me a lot of trouble.

Please, take a good look at this decision and I hope you can see through different eyes.

Gurock doesn’t seem to understand the impact of this imposed functionality.

We have junior and hired testers for test execution and medior / senior testers closely evaluate and adjust the test results

We hired a tester to go through all our 750 testcases in order to have fresh, unbiased feedback on our application en test case quality.

Without being able to change the main status, adding a new or several test results we end up with testers feedback and results are scattered among different test results.

We don’t want auditing of different test results, we simply want to supplement existing test results.

Thank you all for your post. At the present we do not have plans to change this and if you do need to edit test results, you can change the amount of time allowed for testers to do this. We will continue to evaluate this feature however for possible inclusion in a future release of the product.

please add “another vote” for us as well. This is a pain point for us

Thanks for your feedback, vote added!

Hi, has this been fixed yet? We’d need to be able to pause tests during execution and start where we left off.

There has not been a new release of TR in the last 5 days.

Thanks but what I wanted to know was:
Will TestRail allow us to pause tests during execution and start where we left off? Can we go back to a test which has been half executed and complete it without having to add a new result.

Please add “another vote” for me as well. Can’t believe TestRail impose something like this to user. Let us make our own decision rather imposing something this silly. Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback! We still have plans to review this, but in the meantime we would just recommend using an ‘In Progress’ status and continuing where you left off when adding a new result (and you can include any context details in the comments of the result in case you need to explain the reason for the multiple results). We don’t have any update on the timeframe/ETA for this just yet. I’ve added your votes and feedback to the feature request.

Regards,
Marco

My team is evaluating a new test tool for us to use. So far TestRail is leading the pack in our trial runs; however I just encountered exactly the same limitation described in this thread. Even creating a new status of “In Progress” with the option “This status is a final status” unticked, the test resul with “In Progress” still can’t be edited.

Our problem with this is that we’ll have junior testers and we’ll be adopting this as a new test tool; therefore we are expecting experimentation and non-final test results that need to be edited. Having multiple test results in a test case in a test run is not what we want.

This may impact our final decision unless you have a suggestion how to circumvent this limitation?

Hi,

If we do this, then there wont be any continuity in the test case.

The main problem is the screen shot what we include in the run, wont be available in the new test run.

do you have any option to at-least copy the screen shots in the run.

another vote for this feature. My company might end our subscription without.

Please add my vote to the pause feature.

Thanks,
Hanna

+1

For us this is a major limitation. We have TCs of over 200 steps, so we have to save the result halfway.
When continuing, you can change individual step results but if during the initial run the overall status was set to “in progress”, there is no way to change this anymore.

Just adding another result to update only the overall status makes no sense.

Has there been any update on this topic?, our team struggles with this too.

Thank you,

Hello Marco,

Can you please point out how I would ‘override’ as you have indicated, this would help me out a little until this much requested feature is added. At present I do not see anyway of overriding .

If it is a setting I need to ask of my admins, please let me know what I need to ask of them (they are geographically separated from me so popping round to discuss it with them is not possible!)

Many thanks,

James

Another vote over here. We should be able to configure this annoying ‘feature’ out of existence…