Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Change test cases printout layout and information

Hi,

i have a question about changing the printout layout.

When i want to print test cases i want to add also into the printout page ( Steps to and Excpected result ) Also change the layout a bit.

Can this be done ?

Also can i change what will be exported to excel ? i mean what fields i want to export and see its time consuming if i need to delete the fields in excel i dont want to see .

Thanks,
Viljam

Hello Viljam,

Thanks for your posting. You can change print reports to a more detailed layout via the little dropdown box which is displayed on the report page after clicking the print icon (Outline vs Details mode). The Details mode contains all fields for the test cases, including Steps, Expected Results etc. It is currently not possible to further customize the layout of the print reports.

Excel/CSV exports currently contain all relevant columns and it’s not possible to select just a few columns (this is on our feature request list already, though). That said, it is also possible to use the XML exports which are useful for post-processing/filtering/customizing exports. This usually requires some programming knowledge/experience but we can help with any questions.

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello Viljam,

Thanks for your posting. You can change print reports to a more detailed layout via the little dropdown box which is displayed on the report page after clicking the print icon (Outline vs Details mode). The Details mode contains all fields for the test cases, including Steps, Expected Results etc. It is currently not possible to further customize the layout of the print reports.

Excel/CSV exports currently contain all relevant columns and it’s not possible to select just a few columns (this is on our feature request list already, though). That said, it is also possible to use the XML exports which are useful for post-processing/filtering/customizing exports. This usually requires some programming knowledge/experience but we can help with any questions.

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Hi,

yes it would be good if you can help out here, we have experienced programmes here who area able to dig in and make the changes but we are not sure where the change should be done and the code is locked :slight_smile:

Regards,
Viljam

Hello Viljam,

Thanks for the update. I would still recommend using the XML export for this and re-formatting/printing the data according to your requirements. This would arguably be the best and simplest way to implement custom print report/pages.

If you still would like to implement this via custom code in TestRail (and accessing the database directly), I would recommend getting familiar with custom reports first which are a good introduction to writing custom code for TestRail:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/custom-report

You would basically need to read the relevant data from the database tables and output the HTML pages (which you can then print with your browser).

Regards,
Tobias