Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Case id numbers are growing too fast

Hi all,

I’ve integrated Testrail with our selenium automation solution and I have noticed that the Case_id has incremented from numbers like “C987” to id numbers “C12228” in a week only. How can this be posible?

We are only using the TestRail API integration to create test plans, set the results of the executed tests though Selenium by generating test runs and then closing each plans.

Please, do you have any idea what am I doing wrong? I do not want to manage Case_id numbers such as “C866674643321” in next months…

Thanks!

Test Runs make a copy of each test case and that creates a new Case Id for each test in the run. You are not doing anything wrong but have a lot of test cases and probably a LOT of test runs.

Many thanks for your reply. Is there any chance to avoid creating new Case Id per each new run?
In my scenario, I have only about 300 test cases, but since I have integrated TestRail with the automation framework, it runs every night at least 4 test runs (browsers and environments compatibility) and the Case Id number will become unmanageable in a near future…
Any thoughts/help?

From the various replies I have seen the Gurock folks make recently - there is nothing that can be done to prevent the copy of the test case. They uncouple the test case in the Suites and Cases tab from the Test Runs case so that each run has its own discrete history.

Maybe they might have a suggestion but I don’t believe so. I think this type of thing was discussed in the General Support/Discussion forum in the last couple months. You can do a search in that forum and see what the Support folks discussed.

Hey Ricard,

Thank you for your post. TestRail would always create a copy of the test case and assign a new ID to the test case. This is to ensure that all test cases have a unique identifier. There is nothing to worry about in terms of the ID and TestRail would continue to function fine regardless of this number.