Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Cannot select custom field in Push Defect lightbox to JIRA

Hi,

After adding some custom fields to the Push Defect lightbox, I cannot select the custom fields - I get a red circle with a diagonal line through it.

Attaching screenshots.

Note: I have full admin rights on both JIRA and TestRail. Both services are using Cloud. And integration is set up to use current user’s JIRA credentials (as in, when pushing defect from TestRail it fetches my JIRA credentials and marks me as Reporter).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if there’s any more information I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks!

Hello!

Thanks for your posting. When you configure the additional fields for the Push dialog in TestRail, it’s important to use the correct field IDs (as shown in the error dialog). For example, you need to map Severity to the customfield_10014 in JIRA. Otherwise, it’s not possible to figure out the mapping between the Push field and the JIRA field and the TestRail cannot pull the items from JIRA (which results in an empty/disabled dropdown).

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira-fields#custom_fields

I hope this helps but please let me know in case anything is unclear!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I used that exact guide, and halfway through writing this I just realized something, gave it a try and everything works!

My problem was that I was taking the example:

[push.field.customfield_11002]
label=Customer
size=compact
type=dropdown
required=true

And changing everything I THOUGHT I needed to change, including “customfield”. So what I actually did (using the Severity example) was:

[push.field.severity_10014]
label=Severity
size=compact
type=dropdown
required=true

I didn’t realize it actually has to stay as “customfield_#####” and instead changed that part to “actualfieldname_#####”.

Thanks again and hope this may help someone else who may run into this problem.

Great to hear that it works now and thanks for sharing this :slightly_smiling:

Cheers,
Tobias

I’m having a similar issue. But my custom fields are not showing in the test run screen. I created 2 custom fields (Platform and Browser). This is what I added to configuration:

[push.field.customfield_10109]
label=Platform
size=compact
type=dropdown
required=true

[push.field.customfield_10107]
label=Browser
size=compact
type=dropdown
required=false

Hi Ileanell,

Have you also enabled the fields as follows?

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira-fields#custom_fields

[push.fields]
customfield_10107=on
customfield_10109=on

Cheers,
Tobias