Subscribe Join 180,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security. Subscribe

Can you import test cases written in MS Word?

I am trying to import test cases written in MS Word. Exporting them to CSV ends up with a lot of rewriting and XML import doesn’t seem to work.

Is there anything else I should try?

@jkazmier

Hey Julie,

Welcome to the TestRail Community and thanks for your post.

The easiest and best method to import test cases into TestRail would be to use the CSV import wizard. The CSV import wizard is very flexible and intuitive, allowing you to map your CSV columns/fields to TestRail’s fields easily during the import.
There isn’t a specific column template/format required for the import wizard, so you would just export your test cases from Excel/Word into CSV format, and you can then import them into TestRail from there. You can learn more about the import process on our website here:

https://www.gurock.com/testrail/docs/user-guide/howto/import-csv

Regards,
Shanu

I can get the test case in that format, but due to the way the test case is laid out, the format is not importable in CSV without editing the entire document. One test scenario is 39 pages, so that is no small effort for 176 documents.

Thanks for responding, I’ll look for another solution.

@jkazmier

Okay Julie, let me check for other workarounds and provide an update here.

Regards,
Shanu