Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Bug/Feature Request: Prevent or allow more than one to edit Test Plans

People in my team are repetitively overwriting each other’s changes, even when editing different Test Runs within the same Test Plan.
IDEALLY it’d be great to have Test Plans updated in real-time. Or, at the very least, have protection against overwriting (i.e. locking Edit mode when someone is already making changes, or a warning before you save over recent changes).

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, we are aware of this and it is planned to add some kind of locking/soft-locking/warning when multiple users edit a test plan (or other entities) simultaneously. This was already on our todo list and it is planned to look into this for one of the versions after the next one (which is almost complete and is currently scheduled for early July).

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

I need to escalate this issue as it’s causing a real problem for us. In a multi user environment, where I could have multiple users editing the same Test Plan/Run - it’s essential that they are notified earlier about whether the Test Run/Plan is already being edited.

I would definitely like to see some locking functionality added. It really is vital to ensure content is not lost.

Please please issue a hotfix to make things a bit better in this regard!

Thank you.

Just a thought - but is there a UI script that could help us until this is fixed?

Hello Bryan,

Thanks for your posting. We’ve released TestRail 3.0 in the meantime and it is planned to look into this for one of the next versions. Locking cannot be implemented with UI scripts (as this requires server support and UI scripts are client-side only) but you can change some aspects of the test plan form, e.g. displaying warning and info messages. If you could let me know what you are looking for exactly, I’m happy to suggest the best ways to implement this.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for responding. I guess it would be useful if, on entry to the ‘Edit Test Run/Plan’ screen, a message could be displayed (either a pop-up or somewhere prominent on screen) that the Run/Plan is already being edited (and by which user too if we can get really fancy!). That would at least let the user know that they should wait until it becomes free.

It would also be useful if when saving the changes, the ‘OK’ button is effectively disabled if someone has made changes since the user entered edit mode. Or, at least, a more obvious message saying that saving the changes now would be a really bad idea.

Is any of that possible?

Cheers.

Hello Bryan,

Thanks for the additional details. This is not supported with UI scripts unfortunately as this requires support from the server side. It is planned to implement this in the way you mentioned or similar but this would need direct support from TestRail and cannot be implemented as a customization at this point I’m afraid.

Regards,
Tobias

Thanks for clarifying.

I’ve worked out how to show a message when clicking the Edit button of a Test Plan, but I’m not sure how to show a message when I think click the Save button on that page.

Is that possible? If so, what include tag do I need to use?

Cheers.

Hello Bryan,

This is currently not supported because there’s already special code in place that is triggered when you click that button. This code asks the server for a “diff”, i.e. the things TestRail would do when you save your changes and this already gives you an overview over new, changed and deleted test runs.

Regards,
Tobias

Ok - thanks.

Again, I want to stress how important we deem this issue to be. Our Plans are designed such that people will share ownership and add tests to during our planning phase, and our current workaround is to use a Skype group in which people will message others when they need to edit a plan to add tests to it. They will then message when they have finished.

This is obviously not ideal and not sustainable in the long term :frowning:

I’ve added a UI script to remind people to be careful, but there’s still a big risk that people’s work will be lost or cannot be saved because someone else has saved in the mean time.

Sorry to be a grumpy customer, but I’m really expecting a resolution to this issue soon.

Cheers.

Hello Bryan,

I fully understand your concerns about this and it is definitely planned to look into this. We don’t have a concrete time frame for this currently though and I believe you can also solve this by changing your workflow a bit. One option would be to include all tests upfront and then assign them to different users as you go through your tests instead of regularly changing the test plan configuration.

Regards,
Tobias