Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Blocked from creating more than one "Steps" custom field

Hi,

We have been using test rail for a while now and throughout the company other departments have started picking up the tool and making their own unique projects with various field configurations.

Since upgrading to 5.2 (we skipped the 5.1 update) we would like to utilize the test case template feature.

In doing so we have come across a problem whereby we’re unable to create more than one custom field that uses the “steps” function.
The error: “This custom field type can only be added once and there is already a custom field for this type.” appears.

We are looking at revising the template structure for those projects using different fields. Essentially recreating the test case templates and making the steps column shared across multiple projects, making the ‘steps’ custom field the only common custom field used across the projects.

This fix is still not ideal as we can only have one default test case template. I have already added a +1 comment to a recent post in reference to this specific problem.

The templates are a great addition but if we cannot find a solution that fits our various project configurations when using the steps field it’d be a real shame as it seems our teams would really benefit from having this flexibility.

I’d be interested to hear any feedback on this.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your posting. The Steps and Result fields can only be added once but you can freely assign this to your projects (using the custom field options) as well as templates. You can configure the steps field per project via the project options (above the Save Field button when editing a field) and you can change the template assignments when adding the template. Happy to help if you could provide an example of what you are trying to accomplish.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hey Tobias, It’s been a while!

I had to put this change on hold for a while but now I’m back as it’s become an issue for certain teams.

Our set up is as follows:

2 projects created with completely separate custom fields applied. Both projects use “Test Case” as the test case template.

1 project uses the ‘Steps’ type whereas the other uses two ‘Text’ type fields for single step/results.

I create a multi step test case template for the project using single fields. When I add this new template to the project with single fields the default "Test Case’ template also picks up the Case Field with Steps type.

As mentioned in my original post, I’m unable to create a second Case Field with ‘Steps’ as the field type.

Editing the default test case template by adding/removing case fields from projects will affect the test cases already created.

Hopefully this gives you a picture of my issue with getting this working? Please let me know if I can explain an area further.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update. I would recommend enabling the steps field for the default Test Case template in this case. TestRail would only show this field for a test case if it has been entered, so cases with empty steps field would still look the same. You would see the steps and text fields on the edit form for the Test Case template but you could add a description to the steps field that just one of these is to be used. Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the prompt response Tobias.

Your suggestion was my back up plan, but would of prefered not to. Reason being is that I wanted those creating test cases to use the Step type sparingly as there was a tendency to verify additional features.

Are there plans to make the Steps type accessible in more than one Case Field at a time?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

There are currently no plans to add support for multiple steps fields. That said, this would be the most elegant solution in your case and I’m sure others would benefit from this as well (now with TestRail’s support for templates) and we are happy to look into this again for a future version.

Cheers,
Tobias

Excellent news Tobias. I’ll keep an eye out.

Thanks.

Thanks again for your feedback on this, Mark!

Cheers,
Tobias