Subscribe Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security. Subscribe

Best set up for a .csv to import into TestRail

Basically, do you have a preferred set of fields/columns for the .csv sheet to import into TestRail.

Trying to save a whole lot of rework by my testers as we don’t have TestRail yet but we are in the process of purchasing.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi @DGravatt,
although I understand your request to avoid rework, it is IMHO a wrong question.

You should finalize your fields in TestRail on the description detail level following your test strategy. Probably by using different templates as well.
Then simply create some example test cases and export them completely, probably different versions per template. Finally mark the mandatory fields and you’re done.

Additional remark:
Using different TM-Tools I have created several templates for my customers. With TestRail business prefer to enter the cases directly. There are some smaller drawbacks, but they are usually accepted.

Hi @kwirth

OK, but if we don’t have test rail yet how can we do this? I wanted my testers to set stuff up in Excel whilst we are waiting and then import them in - I thought this was a good point of TR, if we just have to create them all in TR again what is the point of an import feature?

Hi,
the direct usage of TestRail to create cases was just my experience. Of course you can use the importer to get prepared cases from an external source like Excel or a different TM tool exporting existing cases.

But again, if you’re not sure which fields you really will use and how TestRail is working smoothly you shouldn’t start with creating detailed cases, probably scenarios are enough. Otherwise you will have additional rework afterwards (just my experiences).

If you have to wait for your TestRail, I guess you’re talking about your own Server, you can speed up by asking for a demo system in the cloud and make your first experiences there. This might take few hours. Means to get familiar with the fields or templates of TestRail. This will even give you a clean startup for your system.

The import process was mainly for 2 reasons - mass editing of cases and moving from one system to Test Rail.

As kwirth has said - you would need to know what will be filled out in TR test cases and map them in cvs and then to TR when imported. If you want to do separate steps and results then I believe you have to do an XML import.

Hello @DGravatt,

When we first migrated to TestRail, we had the exact same issue as you are describing. We used excel files with some VB to parse the file so we could import it into our existing test framework. We had to modify the VB to parse it in the way that TestRail wants to see the data, but if you have excel files that you can just save as structured csv files (with a header row), you can import them directly into TestRail.

As noted in the previous comments, you can set up “Customization’s” in TestRail to look at your unique workflow, but don’t worry about that at this time.

I am guessing you have test cases that have a:
-> Suite Name
–> Section or Function Name
—> Testcase Name
----> estimate of time to perform the test
-----> Objective / Steps / Expected Results

If your existing spreadsheet has this type of structure, you are home free. From the picture you see below, once you start the import process (which is really self explanatory), you can just match your column titles to the TestRail column titles. I have provided a mock file for you to look at…

As I stated above, we encountered the same issues, we had to migrate 10’s of thousands of testcases into TestRail (our QA group is over 120 engineers). If you need some more direction, let us know… I can’t give you our stuff, but I can help if your have questions.

Once you start importing, you can link your columns to TestRail’s columns, they don’t have to be in the same order.

Thanks very much @mlampey this will be very helpful - just what I was looking for.

Wow, 120 QAs! Much smaller set up where I am working at the moment (5 QAs including me).

I will see how I get on with this and I may well come back to you.

Thanks again.

So, we have encountered issues with steps not coming out as individual steps - one of my guys (on a trial account) made some scripts in TestRail with individual steps, exported them and then imported them and all the steps were just in one field.

Is there some way round this does anyone know.

The CSV Export isn’t capable to handle separated steps and will put everything in a single row with leading counters in single fields.
The XML Export seems to separate the rows correctly - already mentioned by @BGanger above.
Already an old issue, just check the Forum…

Good to have a Trial account, making your own experiences. :grinning:

Actually, that is not strictly true as I just got myself my 2nd trial account and you can make the .csv do it if you use the advanced section and change it from Test (Text) to Test (Steps) and then make sure you check the box for test cases use multiple rows.

Whow, I would be happy to hear if TestRail meanwhile is able to Export cases in csv Format with multiple rows and you can have a kind of roundtrip (still missing an update), but at least there was no info about it.
So I still think it is not possible to Export in csv Format with separated steps.
Importing is possible since a Long time…

Slight misunderstanding here - I was talking about importing not exporting.