Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Background task - can't get it to start

We are moving from development to production with our Testrail server. When we set up our development server, we had trouble getting the background task to work even though we were following the directions here.

Suddenly, it started to work after fiddling with it. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why but now we have the same problem with our production server. We just cannot get the thing to work.

We are running a CentOS linux VM and have everything installed correctly and are running the production Testrail.

Our instance of Testrail is installed at /var/www/html/testrail (default location for web apps) so I’ve made that change to the /etc/cron.d/testrail file.

However, we just can’t get it to go! Now, we don’t have a www-data user or group, it’s apache instead so I think I’ve made the right changes but, even with setting everything to root, we still can’t get it to go!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Aw…/facepalm…

I got it. There’s an extra ‘*’ in the sample crontab file that got carried over.

Move along. Nothing to see here. :slight_smile: