Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Associate test results with a new test case id

I am relatively new to Test Rail and may be going about this the wrong way. In any case, I am not readily able to find anything about my question in the forum database so I’ll ask it here.

For some of my existing test cases in Test Rail, I need to make some major revisions. To make this task easier, I have been making copies of other existing tests to use as a template for the new version of the test. This seems to work fine and so far so good.

What I have noticed though, is that I need to retain the results and history from the old test in the context of the new version. When I make a copy of a test it creates a new test id but this also zeros out my results data and history from testing done on the old version. What I need is a way to associate the results from the old test case id with the new test case id, such that my history is preserved.

I would be ok with archiving the results and history associated with the old test id if there were some way to link this to the new test id. I’m curious to know if this question has been asked before and if this has somehow been addressed in Test Rail.

Best Regards,
John

Hi John,

I’ll answer your question with an example (it’s easier that way!).

Let’s say you are testing version 1.1 of your application. You have test cases for v1.1, and you open a Test Plan / Test Run with these tests, and pass / fail your tests accordingly.

At this point, when you’re done testing, you can Close your Test Run / Test Plan by clicking the lock icon. This will take an internal copy / snapshot of the Test Case at the time it was closed.

Any future updates you make to this Test Case will not impact the closed Test Case / Test Result.

The Test Case will still retain its Case ID, and you will be able to see the history of the test and any results it may have. When you look at the Test Result for version 1.1, you will see the original steps etc. as expected.

Hope this helps!

Hi John,

TestRail has several versioning features for this use case and I would also recommend looking into the close feature Glenn mentioned (thank you!):

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-tips#closing_test_runs

You can also find a more in-depth discussion around versioning cases with TestRail here:

https://blog.gurock.com/test-management-test-case-versioning/

Cheers,
Tobias

Thank you for the rapid response and detailed information, Tobias. This is very helpful. I am going to consider the versioning feature as well.

Best Regards,
John

You are welcome, John, and please let me know in case any further questions come up.

Have a good weekend!

Cheers,
Tobias