Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Assigned to testcases default to Creator daily

Hi

We have noticed that when running test cases in our test suite - and assigning them to individuals - at 9.am each morning they are being re-assigned to the creator of the test run.

Why is this happening. We do not have an assigned to person in the test run set up.

Thanks
Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the post. That is very odd behavior, and I’m not sure what could be causing the user assignments to revert every day. I’d like to get some more details about your instance and current set up. Please reach out to the support team directly at contact@gurock.com with your instance URL, and if using TestRail Server, please also include the version you’re on and details about the server environment (OS, PHP version, SQL version, etc.). Also, it would be helpful to know if your team is using any automation tools integrated with TestRail.

Let me know if you have any other questions for now and we’ll be looking out for your email.

When you create a Test Run and leave yourself as the “Assigned to” rather than blank - each day it will automatically re-assigned all test cases to you - which is very annoying.

this is happening in TestRail V5.6.0.3862.

cheers

Jackie

Hey @JackieP ,

Thanks for the reply. Is this happening with all runs, or does it seem to be localized to a specific run? Also, do you have any automation tools that you have integrated with TestRail? I would also like you check the “Activity” tab at the top of the test run overview page and let me know if it’s showing you the initial assignments to your users and if it updates when the tests get reassigned.

I’ve tested this in my own instance by creating a test run assigned to myself, then assigned the tests to multiple users. Checking back over the last couple days the assignments appear to have stuck for me, which indicates there may be something else happening your TestRail that is reverting the assignments every day.

Let me know what you find!

Hi,

We’ve encountered a similar issue and I think I’ve tracked down the cause. Basically when editing a test run (after assigning the tests to testers), if the Assigned To field (in the Test Run level), has a valie, then it will overwrite the values of the assigned users. This obviously seems like a defect in TestRail, as it shouldn’t overwrite details of tests already assigned (it is meant to be only an initial assignment - right?).

When the Assigned To value changes as a result of this action, it is not recorded in the test’s Activity Details.

The workaround is to clear the field if editing the Test Run. However this should definitely be fixed - we just lost a good few hours of work because of this issue.

Thanks,
Ory

Hi Ory,

Thanks for the reply! That is the case, and is a known issue that we are looking into currently.

For now, as a workaround, there is a UI Script you can use that will attempt to clear that field when editing a test run so you din’t have to make the change every time. Please note, this script is not officially supported, and has not been tested in larger environments, but anyone is free to use and make changes to it as needed.

name: Change Run Assignee
description: Changes the 'Assign To' value of a test run to blank to prevent re-assigning all tests to a single user when editing a test run.
author:
version: 1.0
includes: ^runs/edit
excludes:

js:
$(document).ready(
function() {
var assignee_list = document.getElementById('assignedto_id');
assignee_list.options[0].selected = true;
}
);

If you are unsure how UI Scripts work within TestRail, you can learn more about them on our website here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-custom/uiscripts-introduction

Thank you! I’ve deployed it and it seems to work well. Would appreciate an update when the issue is resolved.

Is this still an issue in v6? We believe we’re seeing the same thing after our recent upgrade.

Hey there,

This is still an ongoing issue with version 6.0, but a fix is being worked on currently and we’re hoping to have it included in the next release. I don’t have a specific date for that just yet, but it should be coming soon.