Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Apply a "Master" Test Suite to all projects

I have empty projects in the dashboard as follows:

-proj1
-proj2
-proj3
-proj4

-mastercollection

In the master collection project, I have a set of test suites that needs to be exported into every single project.

Is there a way to do this rather than manually exporting one by one with the file import prompt? I have over 50 projects that need this.

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, there is an easier way than using the Export/Import features. Left to the Export/Import icons you can open the Copy/Move dialog (the icon with the two sheets of paper) which can be used to copy/move test cases from one test suite to another (also across projects if needed). To use this feature, you can create and open an empty test suite, open the Copy/Move dialog, select the test suite and test cases you want to copy/move and then use press the Copy or Move button.

Alternatively, you could also look into using the API for this:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api/start

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Thank you,

Although the option you mentioned might be easier, it still requires the same amount of work (number of mouse clicks for over 50 projects). I am guessing you are suggesting that the API can handle a mass import for all projects.

Hello,

Among other features, the API provides methods for reading test cases and creating new ones (get_case/get_cases and add_case). You could use these methods to automate the copying to a large degree. This requires some programming experience as you would need to write a tool that would read the cases from the master collection and create/synchronize the test cases in the other projects. Do you have any programming experience or a colleague who could help with this? We are happy to help as well in case you have any questions, of course.

Regards,
Tobias