Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Any way to know the total estimated time for test cases?

I want to know the total sum of estimated time for test cases for a suite.
It would be better to divide into subtotal for section.
Is there any way that I could archive this?

The only way I can come out is assigned to somebody and create a work load report.
But I have to create a test plan/run and assigned to somebody and then create a work load report.
This took too many steps for this purpose.

Any idea about this?

Thanks.

Alston

Hello Alston,

Thanks for your posting. Hovering over the case + section count in the upper right when viewing a test suite will show the total estimate + forecast. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello Alston,

Thanks for your posting. Hovering over the case + section count in the upper right when viewing a test suite will show the total estimate + forecast. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Hello Tobias,

Thanks for your reply.
But I did not see it shows the total estimate + forecast. It shows always the case + section count.

Hello Alston,

Thanks for your reply. I (and other users) cannot see the Evernote screenshot. My guess is that the link/screenshot is marked as private/non-public.

You can hover over the underlined cases link which is part of the case + section count in the upper right of the test suite page. This will show the current estimate/forecast for the entire test suite.

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello Alston,

Thanks for your reply. I (and other users) cannot see the Evernote screenshot. My guess is that the link/screenshot is marked as private/non-public.

You can hover over the underlined cases link which is part of the case + section count in the upper right of the test suite page. This will show the current estimate/forecast for the entire test suite.

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.
Finally, I got what you mentioned.
I finally can see the sum of estimated time but this is not enough us.
Is it possible to get the sum of estimated time of each section?
This is very important information when we decide how to assign test cases.

Thanks.
Alston

Hello Alston,

Great to hear that you found it! Estimates are currently not available per section in the UI but you could look into using the API for this if this is a critical feature for you (via get_cases):

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/reference-cases

Regarding the assignments: you can use the Users > Workload Summary report to check the current workload for your users. This also includes the forecasts and estimates:

This is commonly used a decision helper to distribute the workload evenly across the team.

Regards,
Tobias