Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

An error when importing Excel file

Hi,
I’m trying to test test cases export/import functionality and get an error. My steps are the following:

1. Open any existing test suite that has at least one test case.
  2. Mark all checkboxes that are required and click “Export this test suite” toolbar button and select “Export to Excel” or “Export to CSV”.
  3. Save the data into Microsoft Office Excel file.
  4. Create new TestRail suite.
  5. Click “Import sections and test cases” toolbar button.
  6. Navigate to your xls/csv file which was exported before and select it.
  7. Make sure that “Add new test cases” radiobutton option is selected and click Import button
    " Start tag expected, ‘<’ not found" error is shown

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. The Import feature currently requires an XML file and you can use the Export to XML option to generate such a file. That said, if you just want to copy test cases to a new test suite, there’s an easier way to do this:

1. Create a new test suite as usual and open this test suite
  2. Open the Copy/Move Test Cases dialog (the icon with two sheets of paper)
  3. Select the source test suite to copy test cases from
  4. Select the actual test cases you want to copy
  5. Press the Copy button

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi, Tobias,
The problem is that I have to import test cases from Zephyr for Jira, and, apparently, it is only possible to export to Excel in Zephyr.

Okay, in this case, you can use our Excel/CSV conversion method which basically enables you to convert an Excel/CSV file to TestRail’s XML format:

http://code.gurock.com/p/testrail-migrate/page/csv2testrail/

Depending on the concrete Excel/CSV format, this may require some customization of the code (as explained on the web page), but we are also happy to help in case you have any questions. You can also send the Excel file to our help desk via email and we are happy to take a look and suggest the best ways to migrate this to TestRail:

contact@gurock.com

Regards,
Tobias