Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

An error occurred while generating the report. Please contact your TestRail administrator or the person who built this report to resolve this issue. The following error message and details were recorded

Report generation error:

No report directory configured.

Details:
File: /var/www/deepak/testrail/sys/helpers/ex.php
Line: 25
Status Code: 500
Host:
Uri: ()

Browser:
PHP: 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.22
Server: Linux 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:30:00 UTC 2014 x86_64

Trace:
at ex::raise (ex.php:77)
at ex::raiset (reports.php:666)
at reports::run (reports.php:98)
at Reports_job->_run_report (reports.php:44)
at Reports_job->run (tasks.php:174)
at Tasks_controller->_run_job (tasks.php:143)
at Tasks_controller->_process_job (tasks.php:61)
at Tasks_controller->_run (tasks.php:50)
at Tasks_controller->index (:)
at call_user_func (controller.php:126)
at Controller->_invoke_cli (controller.php:116)
at Controller->_invoke (gizmo.php:107)
at require_once (index.php:106)
at require_once (task.php:49)

Go into the Administration --> Site Settings and then look at the bottom of the Application tab and see if the Report Directory is configured:

We have almost the same error.

The Reports Directory is also defined correctly in our System.

Any idea what could be the reason here for the failure?

The problem is not a missing report directory. It is around the “open_basedir restriction in effect” part. Doing some research it seems that something is trying to be done in the root folder or in a folder another user ‘owns’ which is not allowed.

Is this a custom report or a provided report in Test Rail? What is the path to the report directory? What is the server OS? What version of Test Rail?

That is the error message I see in the TestRail

Path to the Report Directory: D:\TestRail\Reports
We have Windows Server 2016
TestRail Version : 5.5.1.3746

Is the OS on the C drive? Try changing it to C:\reports or we have ours on C:\TestRail\Reports (and create the folder of course) and then see if the problem is fixed. I would bet the account that created the report path on the D drive is different and that the user account that runs Test Rail probably does not have the same, or the needed, permissions on the D path.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The OS is on D Drive only.
The colleague checked the permissions. They are also set correctly.

I did not notice it earlier - it is complaining about the tmp file “file /tmp is not within the allowed path”.

Looks like this is a PHP setting:

It looks like the setting is in the PHP config file - the config file in PHP not the PHP config file in Test Rail. For our install of TR we do have the line for open_basedir commented out.

I am only assume that the tmp file referenced is the server OS but I am not sure.

I would also email support to see if they can definitively state what tmp file is being referenced in the error. I would also send a link to this thread as well so they can see the discussion…

I sent a mail to Support already thsi morning :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thats was the perfect hint :slight_smile:
It solved teh Problem…THANKS!!!

Good to know my stumbling around was useful… :slight_smile: