Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Allow users to select Cases by Case ID when building Test Plans

Is there a reason Test Case ID is not available in the filtering options when selecting cases for a test plan?

In one example where this would have been very useful, I had to skip a bunch of test cases that we were not able to execute in a certain configuration. None of these test cases had enough in common that would result in a matching query. It’s easy enough for me to take down the test case IDs and add them to another configuration, since we do still want to test them elsewhere. However, I don’t have that option in the Selection Filter here:
CloudApp
This is not the first time in a short number of weeks we’ve been using TestRail I would have appreciated this.

Can you please add ID to the list of available fields in the Selection Filter? Ideally it will let me put a comma-delimited list of all the ID’s I want and return those in a list in the middle panel.

Hi Marci,

Thank you for the post. TestRail does not include the option to filter based on the case ID as there can be an extremely large number of test cases within a single TestRail instance. Depending on how the filter is built this could possibly not scale well in larger instances. The filter options that we do offer are quite robust and many of our customers find these to be very helpful.

That being said, we are happy to always revisit suggestions like this.

Hey Marty,

I’m not sure if my suggestion was clear - I’m not looking to pick up an
execution/run instance, but just find that test case by ID in the Test
Suite. Are those not completely unique? It would be so much easier to
find that way. And then once the test cases by ID are selected, I would
assume once I click OK on the Select Cases pop-up, another instance for
that run would be created. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Marci

Hi Marci,

Thanks for your feedback! It wouldn’t be possible to filter by ID currently when creating a test run. You can add the ID column to the Select Cases dialog if you’d like (just click on the Columns button in the top toolbar once the dialog is open and then choose the ID column to have this added). You would then be able to use your browser’s built-in find feature to find any specific ID. This would still be difficult to accomplish across multiple sections though. We’re happy to review adding additional filter methods within this dialog as well. You can also look into creating test runs via the API as this would allow you to set your case selection via IDs:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/reference-runs#add_run

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

i can use the selection filter via ID as well (as I noted what ID’s I want to run when I’m ready to build my test plan and run) and don’t want to have to do a look in test suites and select test cases with ID column enabled. Thanks.

Hi Tien,

Thanks for the reply! You can add the test case ID column in the selection filter to make it easier to select these from the list (just click the columns icon at the top right of the center pane). That said, we’re happy to review adding an ID field for the filter feature as well. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

@mgarcia: Has there been any progress on this topic? I am assigning several hundred test cases to a differing amount of several testers every week depending on availability and so far work around this by sending them an ID range via email. I would love to just throw in a comma-separated list of IDs into a filter in Testrail to actually assign test cases instead (which in return is just a workaround for a missing round robin pick feature (and no, due to missing locking, having testers self-assign to cases doesn’t work)).

I also have to move huge chunks of test cases between sections quite often, where the ID via query filter would be way more convenient than having to search-open every single case to change its section.

While I appreciate the possibility of an API, I don’t want to be forced to set up an additional local interface that average colleages can use to manage what should be in the Testrail interface initially.