Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Agile User Stories and TestRail

Hi
From my last question I was asking about URL link (traceability) to a user story in Jira.
But what about the idea of using TestRail to record each User Story as a Test Suite and test cases for that User Story as Test Cases?

What problems do you see with that approach?

Thanks

Hello Roy,

As you can add a description text to suites (rich-test enabled, by the way) where you could describe the user story, this would actually work well. The only small downside I see is that things could get a bit confusing if you add a lot of test suites. The new ‘Small View’ on the overview page should help with this though. To execute all the user stories/suites at once, you could use test plans.

I haven’t really thought about such an scenario before so thanks for bringing this to our attention. I believe this wouldn’t work well with a lot of user stories for performance reasons at the moment though.

How many user stories do you plan to add?

Regards,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

For this particular project, there are very few user stories (about 25) for this phase.
I think it would work really well, having one Test Suite per User Story.

Yes I agree that on project where there might be hundreds of User Stories that might
be a bit harder to manage together with the test cases.

I will give it a try with small amount of user stories and keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks
Roy

Hi Roy,

Sounds good, for 25 user stories this should work well. Let me know how it works out, we are always interested in such feedback. Thanks!

Regards,
Dennis