Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Adding test case subsections vs individual IDs via API

I was wondering if there was a way to add subsections instead of having to either select all cases, or individually selecting each test case ID that you want when creating a test run via the API? Looking at the documentation, it appears you can only use the filters “include_all” (boolean), or “case_ids” (array) which obviously makes you input each test case ID manually (annoying)

Hi tstutson,

Thank you for posting! It is not currently possible to create a test run and select which test cases should be included by providing a section or subsection ID. If you do not need to include all of the test cases from the suite in the test run, you would need to specify the case ID for each test case that needs to be included. We are happy to review adding support for this in a future update. I have created a feature request for this and added your vote so that our product managers can prioritize this accordingly. That said, we would not have any specific timeframe/ETA to provide for this.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
John

Any update in this feature?

Hi suban,

Thank you for posting! I have added a vote for this feature request for you as well. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a specific timeframe/ETA for this yet. The best place to receive updates on this would be our blog, as we always publish a new post that details the new features/changes to TestRail:

https://blog.gurock.com/tag/testrail-release/

I hope this helps!

Regards,
John