Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Adding new user / AD Sign on / password needed

We have Testrail setup with external authentication against our Active Directory.
Further more we deactivated the fallback login via email adress.

Now, i would like to set up new users. I enter Full Name and email adress of course.
But then at the bottom of the window I have to enter a password.

I assume this the password for the fallback login mechanism (which we deactived).
As long as don’t enter a value as a password, I cannnot setup the new user.

What’s wrong here ?

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. You don’t need to add users manually via the user interface if you use the AD integration as the users are automatically added during a successful login procedure. So, users can already log in with their AD credentials and TestRail will automatically add TestRail user records for new users as needed.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case anything is unclear!

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

to be honest I am not happy to hear about this mechanism.
Here’s why:

We have a limited license package (which limits the number of active users). So i would like to keep control over active users.
If everybody can simply login, and TestRail will setup a user, it will happen some day that all licences are used up, and I don’t even know about all users.

Is there a way to deactivate this mechanism (and then coming back to my original problem)?

Thanks for the update. You can fully customize the AD integration by modifying the auth.php script and we have details on how to customize the integration here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/auth-activedirectory

You can disable the mechanism of auto-adding users by setting the AUTH_CREATE_ACCOUNT option to false and you would need to create the users manually in this case (please just use a random password in this case). As long as you’ve deactivated the fallback authentication, users won’t be able to login with this password and would always need to use the AD user name and password.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions or feedback!

Regards,
Tobias