Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Adding enhancements or Request for change tests to Testrail

Hi,
We are adopting Testrail recently to our practice. So my question is after creating a project, where can be the best to add the future change requests for that project in Testrail? Should this change requests added as a new milestone for that project or is there a better way to set it up in Testrail?

Thanks

Hi Sheidani,

Thanks for your posting! Issues (user stories, change requests, bugs etc.) are usually managed outside of TestRail and you would use TestRail mostly for managing test cases & results and integrate with other tools for issue management. The most popular tool used together with TestRail is JIRA and TestRail has a very deep integration with JIRA (with the TestRail for JIRA add-ons, and the JIRA plugins in TestRail):

https://blog.gurock.com/?p=3365

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi There,
Thanks for your reply, I believe I didn’t make my note clear, I meant to say:
suppose we have a project in Testrail that we are already done with all testing, after sometimes new change requests comes up for that finished project and we need to add some new “test cases” for those change requests to TestRail, where is the best place for them to be added? Should we create for example a new milestone and input the test cases under new milestone or there is a better way for doing this?

Thanks

Thanks

Hi Sheidani,

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. This depends a bit on how you structure your projects and handle versioning. If you work at only one version at the same time in that project, I would recommend adding the new cases to your case repository (Test Cases) and starting a new test run/plan. You can also add a new milestone/sub-milestone to link to your test run/plan of course. Adding a new case will add related tests to all active test runs/plans, so if you still have some test runs/plans from previous tests and testing for those is already done, you can consider closing/archiving those runs before adding new cases:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-tips#closing_test_runs

Cheers,
Tobias