Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Adding Custom Fields for defect push to Rally

We’re using TestRail to push to Rally and have been met with an odd obstacle. We have implemented custom fields in Rally, and further, these custom fields are REQUIRED fields. What happens for our organization is when we attempt to push to Rally we are met with an error that indicates that the custom field cannot be NULL. I tried creating a custom CONFIG file for defect pushes and have been largely unsuccessful at getting it to work as it appears that when the push dialogue opens it can’t retrieve the information in the RALLY custom drop down that’s required to push the defect (it’s possible I’m using the wrong field id??). I don’t know how Rally defines or creates custom ID’s for each of those custom fields but our efforts are at a standstill.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to your speedy response.

~Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your posting. In this case, we would recommend making the custom fields optional in Rally so you are able to push defects from TestRail. You can fill in the fields later directly in Rally by jumping to the Rally issue (TestRail will turn the issue IDs into links after you added a result). Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias

I had already disabled the “required” aspect of those fields and the push works fine. Although this isn’t an ideal solution, I think for the time being we can work around it. The problem NOW is that all the other TestRail users are receiving a circle with a line through it for the Project field. This occurs while using the STOCK/STANDARD Rally plugin. My user account does NOT experience this, but all my team does and we all have the same permissions in both TestRail and Rally.

There is another field on the push form that doesn’t yet contain any data and it ALSO has the Circle with the Red strike through it. Our Project field, however, has many projects in it. Can you give me an idea of what might be the problem?

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your reply. Is the Project field populated when you open the Push dialog? If you don’t see any projects, it’s very likely a permission issue and the integration user needs permission to a) read the list of projects and b) to call the Rally API to query the user record (user.js). The second step is required to check if the user has editor capabilities for the project and this would filter out read-only projects.

Cheers,
Tobias