Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Adding custom case fields to a report

Hi

I’ve created a custom field in the case fields section and I want to be able to include the title and text from that custom field in a report.

So far I’ve not been able to add any custom case fields to a report template, is this a limitation of the report customization or is there something I can do that would allow me to select custom case fields when creating a report from a template?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Thanks for your posting! Which report/template would you like to generate? The reports fully support custom fields (like the regular tables/grid), it’s just that text and steps fields cannot be displayed in/added to a table as their content can be quite large (lists/other tables/images etc.) and wouldn’t be a good fit to include in a table/grid layout. You can use the print views in this case and they would also render text/steps field. Just click on the printer icon on the case repository/run/plan/milestone pages and switch to Details mode.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias

Thanks for your reply.

It is the plan summary report I am generating and I’ve added a custom text field to the test cases that I wanted to display on the report but from your response it looks like this is not achievable.

The only problem with using the print icon is that it then prints everything on the screen so the output would have to be edited and I would have to repeat this step for all of the test cases which would become time consuming.

Essentially what I wanted to generate was a report that details all of the tests included in a test plan and the purpose of running each test (the custom text field I added was the test purpose). It would be a client facing report demonstrating all of the tests we plan to execute and why.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. Do you have the option to use a regular String field (with support for 250 characters, similar to the Title field) instead of a Text field? You would then be able to add this field to the reports and tables/grids.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias

Yes that should work. We can condense the test purpose down to a max of 250 char’s.

Thanks for your help.

James

You are welcome, James, great to hear that this helps! Important: please don’t delete the other, previously added field if you are already using it (deleting the field would also delete the data) and you can also use both fields at the same time (or until you migrated the data from the old field).

Cheers,
Tobias