Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Add test cases to a test plan by Case ID

Is there a way to add test cases to a test run or test plan by Case ID?

Hello Denise,

Thanks for your posting! Yes, you can use the Select Cases dialog on the test run/plan form to change the case selection for a test run and then also select cases based on the ID. While there’s currently no direct ID filter, you can simply add the ID column to the grid (via the Columns button) and can then see the ID directly in the tables. The following screenshot shows the Copy/Select Cases dialog and you can see the Columns button at the middle-top.

It’s also planned to add an ID filter to the sidebar.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Oh ok thank you! That will help for now.

Hi Denise,

You are welcome and that’s great to hear :slightly_smiling:

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello,

I am also looking for a way to add test cases to test plan by ID. Unfortunately there is no way to filter cases by “ID” on the “Select Cases” dialog.

Do you plan to add such feature in future releases?

Best Regards,

Hi Antoine,

You can add the IDs to the tables via the “Columns” button above the test list, would this work for you? It’s also already planned to add an ID-based filter and I’m happy to add another vote to this feature request, thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Team,

Need to know why test case id is not changed when deleting previous test case id?

Hi Naresh,

Could you provide a few more details? Case IDs never change even if you delete other cases. TestRail would also never reuse IDs (e.g. if you delete cases) and case IDs are unique and fixed.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi dude,

Currently we are determining DAR for TestRail, Testlink and Squash. We felt testRail is good one among those. Here we following agile methodology, I would like know how do we maintain metrics, effort estimations(L0, L1), Master test plan. Could we do all in JIRA?

Hi Naresh,

Thanks for your feedback. TestRail is used for all kinds of methodologies, including agile, exploratory testing, test automation as well as traditional testing. Have you already set up the integration between JIRA and TestRail? This is a full two-way integration and you would see all TestRail related details in JIRA and vice versa:

https://blog.gurock.com/?p=3365
http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira

Test cases are managed in TestRail as part of a project and in TestRail’s case repository (Test Cases tab). Test runs and results are managed on the Test Runs & Results tab. We recommend using test plans for iterations/sprints and testing against different configurations and environments:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi dude,

I have integrated testRail and JIRA and need to know that could we do maintain metrics, Release estimation, Sprint estimation and Master test plan in JIRA?

One more question,

Say for example, I had 5 test case ids and i need to immigrate anyone test case id to another suite with same test case design steps.

Here facing some issue.When immigrated test case id is changed to new test case id in the desired suite.

Is there any feasibility to maintain same test case id wherever i copy it.

Hi Naresh,

Thanks for your reply. You can find progress metrics, estimates and forecasts on the Progress pages per milestones/plan/run:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-tips#scheduling_and_forecasting

We recommend using test plans for tracking iterations/sprints and this allows you to group related test runs. Milestones would be for larger goals such as releases or versions.

Regarding copying cases: we recommend avoiding case duplication if possible and you would usually reuse cases across test runs/plans. We would also recommend using a single large repository (master repository) instead of multiple, smaller suites and this is now also the default mode for projects:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your answer. I am glad to hear that you planned to add this feature. I hope it will be released soon.

Thanks again for your feedback, Wilson!

Cheers,
Tobias