Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Add results for steps in tests by API

Hello,
I use TestRail API in my autotests. There is the problem when I use several asserts in one test each assert adds result for a test and summary result of the test displays result of a last assert only. There are steps in tests and we can add results for each steps manually, but as well as I got from API documentation there is no way to add results for each step by API. So my question - are you going to add that functionality to API in future or maybe I can solve this problem other way?

Hi Grigoriy,

Thanks for your posting! The API also fully supports steps and you can find an example here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/reference-results#add_result

(see “Request example” for add_result)

Separated steps would usually be used for manual/functional tests and not so much with automated tests but the API supports this and you can follow the example in the documentation to learn more about the expected format and syntax. Happy to help in case anything is unclear or if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Tobias

Good day,

I have had similar issue and have been unable to update specific steps. Is the “custom_step_results” POST still accurate?

Thanks

De Jager