Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Add planned/expected progress manaully

Hi,

Is there a way to add the expected/planned coverage progress for a test plan/milestone manually (and not use predictions done testrails)?

Thanks,
Michal

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your post! You can enter estimates manually in TestRail using the Estimate field, and include this field in your reports/test run columns if needed. The ‘By Estimate’ column of the Progress section in the reports would be based off of your manual estimate entries. TestRail’s forecasting system is enabled by default and you wouldn’t be able to disable this manually. The more estimates and actual test times you enter into TestRail, the more accurate the built-in forecasting becomes. You can also learn more about how this works on our website here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-tips#scheduling_and_forecasting

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

Thanks Marco.

What I’m looking for is a way to have a graph that shows actual vs expected coverage progress for a milestone or a test plan, but to have the ability to set manaully for given dates the expected coverage, and not rely on predictions. It doesn’t seem the estimate field gives me this ability, also it is generic for a test case, but this graph is for a milestone/test plan (and the test case may be part of different milestones, each with different expected coverage graphs).

Let me know if there is another option to achieve this graph.

Thanks,
Michal

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your reply! It wouldn’t be possible to show this separately in the graph. The Summary reports would already show total estimates of the remaining test cases (which uses the estimate times you’ve entered manually in each test case), but you wouldn’t be able to set an expected progress overall manually for the milestone. Using the built-in forecasting feature is generally the best approach as long as you continue to enter estimates and actual test times to keep the forecasting accurate. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco