Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Add custom page

Hey guys,

I would like to add an “Exploratory Tab” to my projects tab. The view should be customization and access to the PHP api available, preventing numerous javascript calls. I have looked at the Reports customization, and not quite sure, if this allows me to control the contents of that entire tab? Has anyone implemented custom tabs on TestRail? The option to include exploratory testing in future releases would be beneficial if it were made available via the standard installation.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Ash

Hi Ash,

Thanks for your posting! We usually recommend implementing exploratory testing via standard test cases instead of customizations (except for custom fields of course). One common approach is to use one test case per exploratory session and include a small description/goal for this session as part of the test case description. You can also easily record test results or attach files/screenshots etc. as you would do with regular non-exploratory test cases then as part of the test runs & plans. So, you would still use regular test cases as usual, it’s just that the scope and execution would look different compared to “fully scripted” test cases.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any questions or feedback!

Regards,
Tobias