Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Add custom field value to multiple results

Hi,

Is there a possibility to add value/result to custom field in multiple results?

For example I added field called “Tested on” where we specify on which device given test case was executed. 90% of test run is executed on the same device, so it is pointless to paste this information in every result.

Is there a way to paste this value(device name in this case) once for few test results?

Thanks!
Jacek

Hi Jacek

Thanks for your posting. You can add multiple results in one go via the bulk-add feature:

(just select the tests via the checkboxes and use the “Add Results” button above the tables)

That said, for things like devices or browsers, we recommend TestRail’s configuration feature instead and this adds additional context details on the test run level:

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/videos/test-plans-configurations/

TestRail would create separate test runs per configuration and this makes it super easy to a) keep track of your devices and b) compare results across different devices/configurations.

Would this be an option?

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thank’s for quick and professional answer(!). Configuration seems like a perfect solution but one thing is missing…

Let me describe my situation. I work in company which develops mobile apps. We need to test certain projects on different devices(we have about 20 different phones and tablets), so I would need to add all of them in Add Configuration screen one by one. It’s not a booker if we need to do it ones, but as far as i noticed - configuration options don’t migrate from one project to another.

So the only problem for now is how to automate(add one file with multiple configurations) adding new configuration process. Or maybe is it possible to import configuration entries from different project?

Thanks!
Jacek

Hi Jacek,

Thanks for your reply and good to hear that this works for you :slight_smile: It’s currently not possible to copy configurations between projects but if you are constantly adding new projects you could also automate this via TestRail’s API and the configuration related API methods:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/reference-configs
http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/reference-projects

Cheers,
Tobias

Okay so injecting configuration entries via API works fine, but another thing came up :fearful:

Version field is used by us to add App version which we test in specific test run. Is it possible to add version to multiple fields?

If we use bulk feature I need to add for all selected test cases the same result, right?
What if I want to add the same app version to 10-20 test results but the results are different?

Thanks!

Hi Jacek,

If the version is the same for all tests/results, it can make sense to store the version on the test run level instead of per test/result (e.g. as part of the test run name or description, or even milestone). Or would this be for the API as well? You can use the bulk API methods in this case (for example, add_results_for_cases).

Cheers,
Tobias

It think the best and simple rule for us will be to store the device name and App version in the description field.

By rule I mean that no body from the team will need to add configs via API at the beginning of the project and then to add App version in every test run.

The rule will be simple - add device and version in description. Unfortunately this way you wont see those informations when you click on test case result while being in jirra -> this redirects you to test result field which won’t include those data.

The solution is to recreate the ‘bulk’ change option in the way that it will allow to add only those data to selected results which we want(like version or any custom fields values) and won’t force us to give any other(like test result - thats the case now).

Is there any option for such a modification?

Hi Jacek,

Currently the Add Result dialog always assigns a status/adds a result. Do you use the same device name and app version for the entire test run? In this case, I would simply recommend storing the device name/app version on the test run level instead of per test result. Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias