Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Add Case button creates in the wrong section

If you are in a section (have selected the section on the right so that it is the only thing visible), and you click on the “Add Case” button (on the right of the top strip), you are taken into the full “Add Test Case” view, where you create your test and click “Add Test Case” at the bottom to save.

Unfortunately, this process creates the Case in the root section, not the section that you were “in” when you started the process.

I am aware that you can select the section once you are in the full “Add Test Case” view, but this should default to the section that you started in, not the root.

I am also aware that you can click the “Add Test Case” link at the bottom of the section that you are in to create a Case directly in that section. But, firstly, that is a two step process (create, then edit to provide detail), secondly, the “Add Case” button (which is not behaving as expected) is more visible.

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, the Add Case button above the case list always adds cases this way currently and you can use the inline-add feature/link to add new cases to the current section. We will make sure to look into this for a future version, thanks for your feedback on this.

Regards,
Tobias

Hello,

We are using Testrail version 5.3.0.3603 and “Add test case” behaviour is the same. Are you planning to change this behaviour in next releases?

Thank You!
Elena

Hi Elena,

Thanks for your reply! The behavior would still be the same and you can just select the section via the Section field when adding a test case. We don’t have an ETA/timeframe for this feature just yet, however I’ve added your vote to this request, and we’re happy to review this for a future update to TestRail. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco