Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Action Required for Jira Cloud Integration Plug-In Users

Action Required for Jira Cloud Integration Plug-In Administrators & Users

Atlassian has announced an end to cookie-based authentication and basic authentication with passwords for Jira Cloud.

Action is required by April 29 if you are using Jira Cloud : You must change the existing password-based Jira integration authentication to the new API token-based authentication by April 29. After this date, password-based authentication may no longer work. Support for token-based authentication is included in 5.7 version of TestRail .

Enable API token authentication

To enable API token authentication for your instance, follow these steps:

1. For a TestRail Server instance, ensure that it is updated to version 5.7. TestRail Cloud instances are already on version 5.7.
  2. Generate an API token using the Atlassian site.
  3. In TestRail, go to the Administration > Integration area.
  4. Remove the pre-existing jira_user and jira_password user variables. WARNING : This will remove all existing Jira integration usernames and passwords from your TestRail users.
  5. If you did not previously modify the push dialog, you can skip to step 5. Otherwise, copy all data below [push.fields] and save this in a separate document temporarily.
  6. Click Configure JIRA Integration .
  7. From the Jira Version dropdown, select Jira Cloud .
  8. Enter your Jira user email address and API token into the JIRA Email Address and JIRA API Token fields, and then click Enable JIRA Integration .
  9. In the Defects tab, replace the information below [push.fields] with the information saved during Step 5, if needed.
  10. Save these settings.

If you have overridden the Jira integration settings for any of your projects, you’ll need to repeat the steps above according to the applied configuration.

Update user credentials

After API token authentication is enabled, each TestRail user must follow step 2 above to generate their own API token, and then enter their username and API token combination in their TestRail User Settings page.

For further assistance

Refer to the TestRail Jira integration guide for more information. After reading the documentation, if you require further assistance, please contact support.

Hi. We’ve done the steps above and after logging back out and back in, I was able to see the integration from the Jira side…on Chrome.

On Firefox this doesn’t seem to be working. I had the user clear cookies, logout and log back into both Jira and TestRail then refresh the Jira issue screen and the TestRail results section on the Issue View screen remains with the Log into Testrail button.

I had this same user repeat the steps on a Chrome browser and the integration Results window on the Jira Issue screen appear to be working properly.

Any chance this simply doesn’t work on Firefox?

Hi Mike - we are not aware of any browser specific problems relating to the TestRail for Jira add-on currently.

If you continue to experience issues, please send us more details about the operating system and specific version of Firefox being used, and we can look into further.

Cheers,
Simon

Thanks! I tried on my own Firefox and all seems well. The other user saw it was one of his umpteen browser utilities that was blocking the cookies from working properly.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that this user was able to get this working! Please let us know if you encounter any further issues.

Regards,
John

Once I updated this we stopped being able to assign someone on Push. We see the drop down with all the Jira users which we can select from, but when the ticket reached Jira that assignment wasn’t saved.

removed this banner . It will no longer appear at the top of every page. #8