Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

A 'Flag' to indicate that a test case is still in progress

Sometimes I’m trying to write test cases for a User Story where requirement analysis is not complete - I know I will have to re-visit my test case in a later date to add/edit my test steps or even having to change my expected result. The work-around now I use an * in front of my test cases to indicate to my team that the test case is in progress and can’t be use for test execution yet.

But what would be awesome (feature request) if there is a way to flag those incomplete test cases and in the Test Suites & Cases page to have a small incomplete icon in a column next to the edit pencil icon.

Thanks

• Roy

Hi Roy,

I’m sure we will add a way to disable/enable test cases at some point and we just discussed such a feature today here. There are various use cases for enabling/disabling test cases, such as using it as a ‘draft’ mode, retiring old cases and for workflows that require the approval of test cases. We will definitely look into it.

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi,

Have you done any progress with adding this feature? We need to have ability to make draft copies of test cases so they can be approved by QA manager. I imagine it like versions for test cases, where we can choose working version.

Thanks
-Aliaksei

Hello Aliaksei,

Thanks for your posting. You can look into using the new baseline features for a more explicit way of versioning your test cases. Baselines are similar to branches and are good way to have multiple case versions in parallel:

https://blog.gurock.com/introducing-testrail-4-0/

(see Suite Modes and Baselines)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi,

Have you done any progress with adding this feature? We need to have ability to make draft copies of test cases so they can be approved by QA manager. I imagine it like versions for test cases, where we can choose working version.

Thanks
-Aliaksei

Hi Aliaksei,

Thanks for your reply. You could look into using a custom field for this (Draft yes/no) if this would be an option. The baseline feature I mentioned earlier operates on the suite / case repository level and is more targeted towards managing multiple versions for several cases (not individual cases inside the repository) but you could look into adding one or more custom fields on the case level to implement a draft/workflow system. You can then also use such fields for the case selection when adding new test runs/plans (e.g. exclude all draft cases with a filter).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

You could create a protected project that only the test writer/s have access to and then once complete the tests can be moved to the relevant project

I’m also interested in a similar feature. Much of the states used in TestRail focus on execution and less on test development. To solve this we’ve added a custom “status” field to the Test Cases. This helps us to identify where we are in test development according to design, review, write, etc. I however would really like the ability to modify the Project Overview graphs to include this information.

A workflow-like system with statuses on the test case level is something we would like to look into for a future version as well and we also think that this would be great to have. You can already add a Status custom field on the test case level in the meantime as you mentioned and also use this field as filter when you create test plans & runs.

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias