Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

401 error for "Jira_REST" on push if project=on (problem with permissions) [solved]

Hi, hope you can help me.
I can’t make a full integration with Jira - preview and push doesn’t work.

1. In integration: Project off

preview doesn’t work

push button works and I see a few fields

but click in Submit button deals with error

Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Invalid user or password or insufficient permissions for the integration user (HTTP code 401). Please make sure to use your actual JIRA username for the integration (not your email address, for example).

2. In integration: Project on

preview doesn’t work

click on Push button deals with error

Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Invalid user or password or insufficient permissions for the integration user (HTTP code 401). Please make sure to use your actual JIRA username for the integration (not your email address, for example).

I use google account for login to Jira

I have all needed permissions (as I see)

I’m seeing the same symptoms, but without google auth. In my case, I changed the URL when our Jira server moved, but the preview functionality is broken, and I get a 401 error.

Solved.
A real password for Jira is not user password but API token.
In order to generate token go to https://id.atlassian.com/manage/api-tokens
and create one

THANK YOU Anna for this confirmation/ post. Gurock TestRail – if you all would kindly consider updating the GUI verbiage for “My Settings” page - it should not be too difficult? Currently “JIRA User” and “JIRA Password” are both beyond confusing, as what actually need to be used is “JIRA User Email” and “JIRA Atlassian API Token as password”. Thanks!

Thank you Anna! This helped us resolve our issues too!

For us, it was a combination of the username being our email address, the password being the API token, and the project URL not being project-specific, but a general URL instead.

Seems like Gurock needs to review the “easy process” for integrating Jira!